Today’s Update per Travelzoo:
1. In addition to the date below you can stay May 1 – Aug. 31 or Nov. 16 – Dec. 23 for $10 more.
2. They charge extra $5 per person per day for the Cofresi part of the resort (it’s the same resort and you can use all the facilities). Not worth it in my opinion, since there is a chance to be moved there at your request. Oh, and nightly entertainment sucks for most parts.
3. Travelzoo still mentions top shelf drinks at the VIP Beach. Nice if true. Still worth it even if it isn’t.
4. You can book more than a week, but you have to call.
5. It says book by May 9 now. I wouldn’t push my luck that far as it will be sold out before that.
Well, spectacular considering the price! The hotel in question is called Lifestyle Tropical; it’s located in Cofresi, in the North of the Dominican Republic; and it has been a subject of several of my posts before, so I will be brief this time.
I have been to this resort twice. Here are my observations.
On the Dr. Jekyll’s side, it is huge, it has beautiful grounds, plenty of pools (and pool bars), a lot of daytime activities, and a fabulous VIP beach with plenty of beds, cold-water Jakuzzis and the bar stocked with top-shelf drinks.
On the Mr. Hyde’s side, they can get very aggressive pushing timeshare (that is why they want you there so badly in the first place); the food is not awe-inspiring; and the beach is nothing to write home about. In addition, this is the deal for two people in the room. You will pay slightly more — I got $25 per person — if you’re traveling with a kid, too.
Details are in my two previous posts here:
$19 PP a Day for an All-Inclusive Hotel. Does It Get Any Better Than That?
This is my very detailed review of this resort with tons of pictures that gives you essentially the lay of the land.
$15 All-Inclusive Deal at Lifestyle Tropical in DR for 15 Hours On Cyber Monday
And FINALLY. This Is The Current Deal
The Offer Highlights:
- Superior Room (last time, they had an upgrade to Junior Suite, not anymore);
- 4 Night Minimum Stay;
- 7 Night Maximum Stay;
- Free Access to VIP Beach and Parties (they used to mention top-shelf liquor, not anymore);
- Travel: September 1 – November 15
- Sale End on Thursday
How to Fly There for Miles
American and JetBlue. You need to fly to Puerto Plata or Santiago. Puerto Plata is much closer to the resort, but the AA availability is so-so. AA’s Santiago availability is better, but you’ll have to endure a long drive from there to the resort, about two hours.
You can get JetBlue points by transferring from AMEX Membership Rewards. JetBlue has direct flights from New York to Puerto Plata and much better availability. Look out for MR transfer bonuses to JetBlue.
Conclusion: it’s an unbelievable deal if you simply want to unwind; if you are not a foodie; and if you are not a timeshare-risk. The resort’s grounds are as fabulous as they get! So cheap this deal is — we could all do a DO there! 🙂
I say, go for it!
[…] finally, to follow up on yesterday’s post, Andy at Lazy Travelers pointed out there’s currently a deal for a $19 per day all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic. Thanks […]
Tell me more about the trip. Is the air included from Columbus, Ohio?
Thank you in advance.