Good people from Flyertalk report the emergence of a new (or old/new) Citi American Airlines Master card 50,000 miles promotion. If you are interested in getting 150,000 AA miles in less than 3 months (and you gotta be strange and different if you don’t) then follow the strategy spelled out for you in my updated Free Flights thread.
You will have to spend $3,000 per card within the first three months or you will not get the bonus.
To put the number in prospective for total newbies, this is what 150,000 miles means (at the cheapest Off Peak rates).
1. RT flight within North America and Caribbean is 25,000 miles.
2. RT flight between North America and Central America is 30,000 miles.
3. RT flight between North America and Hawaii is 35,000 miles.
4. RT flight between North America and South America is 30,000-40,000 miles.
5. RT flight between North America and Europe is 40,000 miles.
6. RT flight between North America and Asia is 50,000-70,000 miles (no Off Peak rates for China).
Two more pointers
A business/first class flight between North America and Europe is 100,000 miles.
A first class ticket on Cathay Pacific from North America to South East Asia is 135,000. That flight is a pure luxury that would set you back about $25,000.
Worth it? You decide.